Sunday, December 18, 2005

wonder of me

Kristen said it was Dave that inspired her, but she once again has inspired me, so here's my 2005 recap.

Before I begin, however, I am fully willing to acknowledge that I am diving deep into what John would call the "wonder of me" blog territory.

I promise to slap my hand and stick bamboo under my fingernails when I am done.

What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?

I got a job in the private sector, exchanged emails with a world leader and paid $6,000 (with someone else's money) for a plane ticket.

Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I kept an amazing number of them (I made 17 and managed to hit 10 of them) and I'll make another long list for 2006.

Did anyone close to you give birth?

Jackson Joseph Flood entered the world and made it a better place for all of us. My friend Noelle popped out a puppy as well. I think that's it.

Did anyone close to you die?


Greg Shipe was murdered on September 17 and no one has been arrested to date.

What countries did you visit?

Kind of a lame year for international travel. I went to France for about 15 minutes and managed to leave without drinking a single glass of wine.

What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?

His name is Sebastian.

What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

July 18, the day I started my new job; September 19, the day I found out that Greg had been murdered; November 5, a perfect Dan day

What was your biggest achievement of the year?


I guess the job would be the big achievement in a boring kind of way. But, more interestingly, it's my insistence on becoming an even better version of myself and doing a damn fine job of it.

What was your biggest failure?

His name is Sebastian.

Did you suffer illness or injury?

No, that was 2004. 2005 was the year of health.

What was the best thing you bought?

I love the military style jacket I bought at Banana Republic. I think I bought my iPod this year as well -- or was that last year? No, it was this year.

Whose behavior merited celebration?

I have recently become a big fan of Mark Warner's . . .

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

George W. Bush and Michael Moore. Go figure.

Where did most of your money go?

Rent. Eating out. Debt. Clothes.

What did you get really, really excited about?

His name is Sebastian.

What song will always remind you of 2005?

Honestly? Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone".

Compared to this time last year, are you:

happier or sadder?
happier

thinner or fatter?
thinner (maybe)

richer or poorer?
richer (sort of)

What do you wish you'd done more of?

Spent time with Dan.

What do you wish you'd done less of?

Feeling sorry for myself.

How will you be spending New Year's?

I think I am going to be in New York with friends.

Did you fall in love in 2005?


Love? No. Giddy lust? Sure. Have I mentioned him before? Yeah. His name is Sebastian.

How many one night stands?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What was your favorite TV program?

I should say "Arrested Development" because when I managed to remember to watch it, I was consistently astounded by how good it was (and by the fact that they actually broadcast the words "anal rapist" at 8:00 pm on a week day). But I gotta tell you, I never missed a single episode of "Grey's Anatomy". Grey managed to annoy the crap out of me, but my decades long love affair with Patrick Dempsey is going strong.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

I, like Kristen, do not hate people.

What was the best book you read?

Doesn't that presume I read books? I buy books, I read magazines. I am an embarrassment to my elite education.

What was your best musical (re)discovery?

I don't think I uncovered any new music that I am really crazy about this year, despite the best efforts of my friend Matt. But I have found something to replace drunk dialing: drunk iTunes shopping. My more recent purchases: Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville, Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again," Christina Aguilera's "Fighter," and Cheap Trick's "Surrender".

What did you want and get?

Lots of things. I deny myself very little.

What did you want and not get?

His name is Sebastian.

What was your favorite film of this year?

I rent more than I go to the theater, so it's likely to have been a Netflix rental. Let's see . . . P.S., the movie that left me wanting to have inappropriate relations with Toper Grace.

What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

My birthday this year sucked (dinner with friends, coupled with a bad attitude) and I was too old to put in writing.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

His name is Sebastian.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?

I'll dress like a grown up, but I won't dress like you.

What kept you sane?

My iPod. Alyson.

What celebrity/figure did you fancy the most?

Well, apparently Toper Grace managed to stir the loins, didn't he? Beyond that? Um, Christopher Meloni on Oz is really one of the hottest things I have ever seen.

What political issue stirred you the most?

Have you read my blog lately? Too many to list. Just scroll through, making sure to skip all the posts about Laguna Beach.

Who did you miss?

Dan.

Who was the best new person you met?

Alyson. John. Sarah.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.

You really can manage to be true to yourself and do okay in this world. And, in the end, all that really matters is that you had a good time and didn't hurt anyone in the process.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Now I feel like I've won the Cup,
Every time that we make love

Forty-five minutes each way,
At halftime I hear a brass band play

(Not really, but it's a great lyric. Billy Bragg's "The Boy Done Good")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome