Saturday, December 22, 2007

no more wonder

Savannah has turned out to be a bit of a bust. I think, in part, I've just been hit by the desire to be home, as well as a touch of the holiday doldrums.

The hotel is pleasant, but I don't like the fact that I can hear conversations in the hallway and now, tonight, conversations on the balcony.

I like silence.

By the way, in order to get onto the balcony (which overlooks a busy street - not quite what I had in mind),

you need to climb through the window.

Plus, it's raining. The fact that Georgia is in the midst of a drought makes it ridiculous to kvetch about it, but it just made everything today pretty dreary. But Savannah is not going to be a place I return to. The joy of road trips is feeling like you have discovered something new. Savannah feels like they created the experience for you: there's nothing new to discover.

If you come to Savannah, and you are looking for something to eat, I had lunch at Belford's: the house salad and the shrimp, greens and grits. The house salad was fine, although there was too much parmesan, but the shrimp and grits were dull and tasted primarily like butter.

The Maker's Mark I had with lunch helped to dull the pain of the crap shrimp and grits.

I had better luck last night at Sakura, which is directly across the street from the hotel. It was pretty good sushi. Actually, there are quite a few sushi restaurants in this downtown area, but this one was the one that was hopping and seemed to be filled with locals.

When I returned to the hotel (after a phone chat with David about high brow liberal media coverage of Jamie Lynn Spears ), I had a couple of glasses of 21 year old Balvenie in the lobby bar, along with some fine conversation with two drunk men (John and James) in from Hilton Head and the bartenders (James and some guy who reminded me of my friend Chad).

Whatever. I need to post my year end meme and then I think I will be done with this long string of "wonder of me" posts. They're boring the sh*t out of me.

I can only imagine what they are doing to you.


No comments: