Saturday, January 27, 2007

locked in

I'm locking myself in the apartment this weekend to catch up: on newspapers dating back to Tuesday, on Google Reader feeds dating back just as far, on Netflix DVDs that I can't even remember how long I have been holding on to (A Scanner Darkly is playing as we speak), on posting to my blog, on email, on housecleaning and -- of course -- a pile of work, always a pile of work.

In the category of, "I would have written about this if I had the time this week," here are a couple of notable pieces from this week's Post --

  • On Tuesday, columnist Eugene Robinson contributed an op-ed that came to the same conclusion I did last weekend: John Edwards can dance circles around Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama when it comes to sincere and effective use of social media in his campaign.
  • On Thursday, Blaine Harden writes about a Seattle suburb school board that ruled that Al Gore's global warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, can only be screened in schools when an opposing viewpoint is shared as well. The decision came after the father of a seventh grader sent an email to the board stating, "No you will not teach or show that propagandist Al Gore video to my child, blaming our nation -- the greatest nation ever to exist on this planet -- for global warming." Perhaps dad should have more faith in his daughter. If he's successfully taught her to share his values, she'll manage to grow up and be as paranoid as he is.
Time to tackle those Google Reader feeds . . .

No comments: