Saturday, December 16, 2006

there's hope

For the second year in a row, I'm in agreement with Time magazine as far as their selection as the "Person of the Year". Last year, it was Bono and Bill and Melinda Gates (their two-page spread from the issue is hanging up in my office) and this year, my darlings, it's YOU.

(I just spent a few minutes poking around in my archives because I SWEAR there is something I have written in the past around these same lines, but I can't find it now. You'd be surprised how many results you get when you search for "you" — not one of the more effective search terms.)

It's a hopeful selection and a hopeful tale. For Time, the story of 2006 is

" . . . a story about community and collaboratoin on a scale never seen before. It's about the cosmic compendium of knowledge Wikipedia and the million-channel people's network YouTube and the online metropolis MySpace. It's about the many wresting power from the few and helping one another for nothing and how that will not only change the world, but also change the way the world changes."

It's enough to bring tears to your eyes. But, thank G-d, Lev Grossman slaps the reader back to reality:

"Web 2.0 harnesses the stupidity of crowds as well as its wisdom. Some of the comments on YouTube make you weep for the future of humanity just for the spelling alone, never mind the obscenity and naked hatred."

Congratulations, YOU deserve it. I know you've been the person of my year.

Update: I found what I was searching for. Business 2.0 published a list of the "50 People Who Matter Now" in their July 2006 issue and "You! the consumer as creator" was at the top of their list.

4 comments:

Beakerz said...

Couldn't agree less with this (I"ll just let the Bono one go), as I find this to be a cop-out.

I mean, aren't 'we' the most influencial, etc etc. every year?!

abf said...

Actually, no, I don't think we (the people) have been as influential as we could be, judging by the number of people who choose to tune out on from the democratic process. But I do think that technology, and how people are using it, is changing the role of our voice/our influence in unprecedented ways.

Now, what about Bono are you kvetching about?

Quite honestly and ironically, the "people of the year" for the past two years have been direct reflections of the dominant themes in my life/career. Maybe that's why I have agreed with them?

Anonymous said...

How about Bono relocating out of Ireland to avoid paying higher taxes for a starter? Yes he is a tireless advocate but he has also become tiresome. And I am a fan of U2

dexter

abf said...

And now he's been knighted by the British government . . . But I still adore him. Sorry, guys.