Sunday, January 27, 2008

i share alvy's fantasy


MAN IN LINE (Even louder now)
It's the influence of television. Yeah,
now Marshall McLuhan deals with it in terms of it being a-a high, uh, high intensity, you understand? A hot medium ... as opposed to a ...

ALVY
(More and more aggravated)
What I wouldn't give for a large sock o'
horse manure.

MAN IN LINE
... as opposed to a print ...

Alvy steps forward, waving his hands in frustration, and stands facing the camera.


ALVY
(Sighing and addressing the audience)
What do you do when you get stuck in a movie
line with a guy like this behind you? I mean, it's just maddening!

The man in line moves toward Alvy. Both address the audience now.


MAN IN LINE
Wait a minute, why can't I give my opinion? It's a free country!

ALVY
I mean, d- He can give you- Do you hafta give it so loud? I mean, aren't you ashamed to pontificate like that? And-and the funny part of it is, M-Marshall McLuhan, you don't know anything about Marshall McLuhan's...work!

MAN IN LINE

(Overlapping)

Wait a minute! Really? Really? I happen to
teach a class at Columbia called "TV Media and Culture"! So I think that my insights into Mr. McLuhan-well, have a great deal of validity.

ALVY
Oh, do yuh?

MAN IN LINE
Yes.

ALVY

Well, that's funny, because I happen to
have Mr. McLuhan right here. So ... so, here, just let me-I mean, all right. Come over here ... a second.

Alvy gestures to the camera which follows him and the man in line to the back
of the crowded lobby. He moves over to a large stand-up movie poster and pulls Marshall McLuban from behind the poster.

MAN IN LINE

Oh.


ALVY

(To McLuhan)

Tell him.


MCLUHAN
(To the man in line)
I hear-I heard what you were saying.
You-you know nothing of my work. You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you ever got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing.

ALVY

(To the camera)

Boy, if life were only like this!

from Annie Hall (back when Diane Keaton did not make movies like this)

No comments: