Monday, January 16, 2006

121 days later

It has been a while since I have written anything about Greg Shipe, but I noted recently that a few people have found this blog in their search for information about his murder. I presume that they, like me, are wondering when something is going to happen, when someone is going to have to answer for Greg's death.

The thought has been particularly pronounced for me lately, as I have followed
the news of New York Times reporter David Rosenbaum's murder and the arrest of two men for the crime. Rosenbaum, like Greg, was out for a walk in NW DC when he was murdered. The 911 call for Rosenbaum, like the call for Greg, was mishandled, allowing the murderer(s) to get away. The difference, in terms of solving the crime, was that Rosenbaum's killers didn't leave the scene without his wallet and were caught when they used his credit card.

Greg's wallet was still on him.

That fact has always led me to think that the person or people who killed Greg never intended to do so. They freaked out for some reason and shot him and ran away. Maybe they were kids, or on drugs or maybe Greg's dog tried to defend him and caused them to panic.

It doesn't matter.

I don't think of myself as being vengeful, but my hope is that the person or people who killed Greg is/are being punished in their minds and in their hearts for what they have done. The police may never catch them, but I am hopeful that their conscience already has.

We miss you, Greg.

No comments: