Wednesday, July 06, 2005

won't give up chocolate

Have you seen that BP ad in which a woman is asked whether she would give up her car to save the environment? She compares the request to asking someone to give up chocolate. "It's just not going to happen."

I drive. I don't drive much. (No, really, I'm not just saying that. I have a five year old car with 35,000 miles on it. The average use is about 12,000 miles per year.) But I drive and I don't want to not be able to drive. But I don't think it's quite the same thing as asking someone to give up chocolate because giving up chocolate is one of those Cathy comic strip jokes. It's one of those punch lines inside a 40th birthday card that one woman who shops on QVC gives to another woman who shops on QVC.

"Hee hee. Don't take away my chocolate because I'll just go mad!"

Shut up and put down the chocolate. You're not willing to put down the chocolate to ensure that your great grandchildren have air to breathe and are not burned alive by the sun?

Of course, that's not what they asked her. But you know what I mean.

No comments: