Sunday, September 13, 2009

you were right

Photo by Flickr user the_trial used under Creative Commons license.

Yeah, so I might be writing a book about being pen pals with John Hughes.

For all the naysayers who said I wrote "Sincerely, John Hughes" because I was a wannabe writer looking to make it big, go ahead and have a field day. But when you're done, get back to me on how precisely I managed to manipulate a half million people to come and read the blog post, because I'd like to use that same power to convince Congress to support meaningful health care reform.

For all the truly supportive and wonderful people who came by to read the post and to take the time to share their own stories, thanks again. It was surprising and, as I have said before, overwhelming, but appreciated. I hope you'll keep coming by in the months to come as I put my ideas together. Maybe you can help me to think through what is worth sharing and what is just boring stuff about ME.

I don't know for sure this is going to happen, so don't head over to Amazon to pre-order just yet (presuming you have any interest). Someone needs to decide it's worth the paper it's printed on and there are a few folks from whom I would really like to have their blessing, but I'm ready to write.

I've started looking through my journals from the time and watching the movies John made in that period to get the wheels spinning.


First things first, I need to finish this proposal. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again.

16 comments:

phonelady said...

I hope it all comes together for you dear and god bless .

Carrie said...

YES PLEASE! I am so happy to hear you are hopefully going to be getting a book deal!

I was watching Stripes the other day and seeing John Candy reminded me of what you said John Hughes said about how Hollywood destroyed him. Which of course made me sad.

I once quit a job because I couldn't get the night off to see The Breakfast Club at a local theatre that was putting it on the big screen. (It was a shitty job and I was going to be giving my notice anyway; the Breakfast Club was the impetus to make it happen sooner.)

It was great to see it on a theatre screen - I had only seen it on VHS before then - but it was a bit of a disappointing experience to have the entire audience reciting lines -- like a really bad Rocky Horror type thing. I suppose it made me realize how intensely personal his movies were to me, because I was annoyed I couldn't hear the dialogue.

But the theatre was completely packed.

Ninten said...

I started following your blog because of a link about your pen pal relationship to John Hughes...no matter what you do in life there will be nay sayers that will talk about how you're doing stuff with the wrong motivations, how you are a sell out, blah blah blah etc. etc. etc.

Screw them!

Follow your writing instinct/muse/whatever you want to call it!

You're a good writer and have something to share with the world so do it and do so proudly!

Good luck and I look forward to reading what you have to share.

Troop 152 said...

Every writer or actor or athlete or anybody who made something truly worthwhile for the rest of us to enjoy got their "one big break". The unexpected outpouring of interest in your story could be your big break. Go for it!

bella said...

This is so exciting. I will be first in line to get you to sign my book.

Best of luck and please, if they make a movie out of your story, don't give up control. =)

Steph said...

Using some creative license here, I think it would be cool if you could parallel your teen life with his movies as you watch them.

Does that make sense?

That way you could establish the connection as to why you started writing him. Like he's the only one who understood what you were going through at the time. Scene's from The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, and Sixteen Candles are happening to you in real life and you wonder how.

God, I'm still not explaining it correctly I know but I hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say.

I look forward to your story no matter what!

abf said...

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and ideas. Keep 'em coming. I'm planning to count on you throughout this process. - Alison

Amy Kunz said...

id love to read anything you put together. John Hughes' films meant sooo much to me and my friends at the time they came out and still today (I think I am about the same age as Mizz Ringwald so I felt like I grew up with her). Good luck and you deserve whatever success comes your way! You had the gumption back then to write to him...and something in your writing spoke to him and made him write back! so screw the naysayers! happy writing,
Amy

rachel said...

I think you'll write a wonderful book. I'm looking forward to getting a little peek at your process & being here for support...

Vixel said...

I found your blog through that post but I've stuck around as I think you're a great writer. I really hope you get the go-ahead from all parties to write the book, as I'd love to hear more about what sounds like an amazing and fascinating friendship!

dee said...

1000% go for it. You have a raw talent and wit and anyone who would try to convince you otherwise isn't worth your time. Do it for all the rest of us bloggers who dream of writing a book one day but aren't quite there yet. Do it for yourself and as an homage to John Hughes. Do it for Molly and the '80s and all the nerds who wore headgear back in the day!

I could go on... Just get started already:)

Seth Gray said...

that's awesome! congrats & good luck!

Jeff Tompkins said...

Please do this. Thanks again for the incredible story. I'd like to read more.

Esme said...

Fantastic post! Please keep sharing post like this, have a good day.

Khalil said...

Hi there to every body, this webpage contains amazing and excellent data.

Laila said...

Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.