Sunday, May 27, 2007

enduring love for wilco

My enduring love for Wilco has been questioned lately, including, alas, by myself.

It took me more than a week to buy the new CD, "Sky Blue Sky," and, although I uploaded the CD to my iPod almost immediately, it has taken until this morning to listen to the CD as a whole and to watch the accompanying DVD.

Conclusion?

The love endures.

In part -- in great part -- it's the music. But this older, calmer, g-d damn perty Jeff Tweedy still makes me giddy. Like, when he says, in the opening lines of the CD,

"I wanted a lot of the songs on the record to be really kind of direct. I think that the world right now is so mysterious and so, uh, scary and kind of terrifying right now, it just felt really weird to try and write puzzles and kinda disjointed and non sequitur type imagist kind of lyrics. I kinda think right now is a pretty good time to just sit down and sing people some motherf*cking songs, ya know? I'm sorry. That's all I really want right now. I just want someone to sing me a song."

Sing us a motherf*cking, song, Jeff.



No comments: