Thursday, April 26, 2007

another smoke-filled hotel room

I am in a rotten mood. Rotten. I got into Minneapolis tonight and for some G-d awful reason that will need to be explained to me tomorrow, my travel agent booked me in a smoking room and there were no non-smoking rooms.

Disgusting. Repulsive.

I feel like I have been asked to spend the night at a bar, licking an ashtray. I have the window open -- luckily there's a highway below me to lull me to sleep -- to try to get some fresh air in here, but it's not working. I even put a wet washcloth over my face -- like when people try to escape smoke inhalation when they're in a fire -- but it didn't work because the washcloths smell like smoke.

The end of a shitty day.

(But I did have a nice conversation on the plane with this guy.)

Update: I remembered a trick that the saleswoman in the perfume department at Macy's taught me! When I was there a couple of weeks ago, she pulled out a cup of coffee beans to let me sniff when I complained about the intensity of the smell. So, guess what I have been sniffing? The decaf coffee filter! I may yet get cancer from the second hand smoke, but at least it doesn't smell anymore.


Dr. Dre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andre said...

That really sucks...although, the image of you hunched over your desk with a brown paper bag around your mouth accompanied by a pungent coffee odor after a stressful client meeting...makes me chuckle?

abf said...

Yes, indeed, I was huffing coffee. Decaf. But it was before the client meeting -- and it wasn't stressful. I'm just a prima donna about the smell of smokey hotel rooms. It makes me think of Las Vegas and sad people who are trying to become "millionaires" on a slot machine.