Saturday, November 19, 2005

i feel like sh*t

I'm sick. There is no air making its way through my left nasal passage and my left eye won't stop tearing. I'm on the couch watching Tim Russert interview Maureen Dowd (Dan's latest obsession) and barreling my way through a pile of newspapers dating back to October 31. Amy thinks I should just toss them and move on, but my obsessive compulsive ways won't let me.

I won't bother you with too much old news, but there are a few pieces in that pile that have caught my eye or just plain pissed me off. It was the latter when, back on the 31st, the Post had that great page 3 article about the contraversy surrounding the new cervical cancer vaccine. Despite the fact that, each year, it could save the lives of thousands of women in the U.S. alone, the righteous right thinks that it's going to -- along with comprehensive sex ed, rock n' roll and condoms -- bring out the inner slut in teenage girls across the land. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices at the CDC has to decide now whether or not to acknowledge valid science and make the HPV vaccine mandatory for pre-pubescent girls.

I already wrote about this, but I managed to miss Dana Milbank's great piece on November 2 about the Democrats' maneuvering to seize hold of the agenda in the Senate. Milbank has an amazing talent for telling a political story in which politicians are people: flawed, petty, crazy ass people.

Dana did it again on November 18 with his piece about Representative John Murtha (D-PA) and his decision to call for an immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq. Again - flawed and petty and, in this case, spineless.

I need to go to bed.

No comments: