Tuesday, May 10, 2005

this morning's Post

I lived in North Carolina for three years. I love North Carolina. I don't rule out the possibility that I will live in North Carolina again.

But if I do, I better not live with my boyfriend.

A 40 year old woman, employed by the Sheriff's office in Pender County, was recently told by her boss that she had three options: marry her live-in boyfriend, stop living with him, or get a new job.

Sounds like the boss is wading into territory that's just not his business, right?

Well, sure. But apparently, the law in North Carolina prohibits unmarried couples from living together ("the fornication and adultery statute"), as does Virginia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi and North Dakota. Citizens of Virginia should be grateful, of course, the state just recently overturned the law against unmarried people having sex this January.

The ACLU is now suing to overturn the law in North Carolina.

No comments: