Thursday, February 10, 2005

am i wrong?

I remember driving to work back in 2000 -- when I lived in LA and drove down Wilshire through Beverly Hills every morning -- and hearing on the radio that Al Gore had selected Joe Lieberman to be his running mate. I almost immediately called a friend of mine -- who is also Jewish -- and said something along the lines of, "We are so fu*ked. They hate us. Gore is never going to get elected." Jews, well, we're inclined to be a little paranoid like that.

Every time I hear Senator Hillary Clinton mentioned as the possible -- or even as the likely -- Democratic presidential candidate for 2008, I have a similar reaction. People HATE her. I've said it here before, I can't fathom that she could possibly win the election.

So, there's this poll this morning from USA Today, CNN and Gallup saying that Clinton is the frontrunner among Dems for the nomination -- ahead of John Kerry and John Edwards. And so I freak out a little and have a little private tirade about how Dems suck because we keep picking losers.

But am I wrong? Is it my own personal misogyny that is getting in the way -- like the Jewish tendency toward self-hatred or the gay propensity for homophobia?

No answers. Just a question.

No comments: